Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Big Race


I'm excited to see my husband and daughters as I start on the 56 mile bike.

I had an amazing time at my race on Sunday, September 12th.  I decided to compete in the Athena Division -- the only female "weight class" in the sport of triathlon and like all things you never want to do -- they end up being some of the greatest choices.
 
Once I decided to go switch to the Athena division, I started identifying with the wonderful goddess of wisdom.  I felt wise, powerful, and strong -- all good things to feel before a 70.3 mile race. I started showing off my goddess curves.  I wasn't in the fat girl division -- I was in the GODDESS division.  Not everyone can be a goddess.  Everywhere, there were skinny triathletes with washboard abs and  thighs etched from stone.  There were only a few of us smooth & curvy goddesses.  Our abs weren't jagged and rough enough to grate cheese.  They are soft and supple and huggable. So many people wanted to talk to me -- maybe it was the big smile on my face, my less than threatening physique, or the simple anomaly that I was the only one swimming without a wetsuit.  
The swim was refreshing and glorious.  I had no idea the Hudson River could be so calm, warm and taste like the clean fresh-water of the pristine Adirondacks. The tide was almost too perfect...as it caused several swimmers to swim in the opposite direction. A woman swam right into me going the wrong way. A few minutes later, a kayaker gave me a courtesy poke to tell me I was doing the same thing. So, I had to sight every stroke. It took me 40 minutes to do the swim even with all the bumping and turning and NO WETSUIT!

I biked much faster than my 2 previous 50+ mile bikes. I wasn't able to put as many long bike rides in as I would have liked --- never-the-less -- I was thrilled with my 3:35 bike --  16mph -- on my little sister's old bike! I had the energy to really crank up the hills, push on the descents, and drive on the flats. The only people that passed me were those on those fancy cervelo triathlon bikes that cost $3k+ and look like they weigh in at 13 ounces.  The people riding them looked like they were going to take off and grow pegasus wings.
Lily paces me to the finish!


I decided to do the run barefoot, which wasn't the wisest choice. The course description said the trail portions were "packed dirt". But they were really those grey man-made stones that were quarter sized. There was no shoulder trail to run on. I slipped on my VFF for the trail portions -- but those stones were too painful for my poor little foot pads. Regardless, I stayed positive & felt wonderful the whole time. 
Matt, Lily & Aurora met me at the 13 mile mark.  Lily sprinted with me to the finish.  She was tasked with the very important job of running as fast as she could to help mommy get to the finish.  Lily is the true superhero...and she is also a princess and a CHAMPION!
A high five.
Lily showing off her new medal!
A big hug for the two champions!


My goal was to break 7 hours and I did. I came in 2nd in the Athena division and won a new watch!

1 comment:

nancy ledger said...

Congratulations! We knew you could do it. I saw on Monday (I think) on Good Morning America that JuJu Chang also did a marathon that sounded like the one you were doing, did not catch the whole show, but ran over to the TV to see if you were on. Images went by to fast to recognize anyone (at least for me in my old age). WOW-YOU FINISHED SECOND!!!! You must have been thrilled. Uncle Nick and I are so proud of you......we will be bragging to everyone. Hope it was a nice watch-you worked your rear off to earn it. The pictures are sooooooo cute with you and Lily. I guess Matthew takes after Aunt Diane and does not want her picture or name mentioned and that is why his picture is missing. Glad Aurora was there, even if she is a little young to remember. It is something you will be happy you accomplished your whole life!
Once again, we are so PROUD!!!