Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Baby Eats Pig for Breakfast!

I'm just starting Day 7 of my 30 Day Paleolithic Eating Experiment.  I've learned some crucial things:
My 1 year old Aurora, chowing down on chicken & salad!
This girl has a very healthy palate!

  1. The Paleolithic Era was really about 2 million years ago vs. the 30,000 I previously posted (Thanks Rob).
  2. Dairy is still my mistress.  Every day I've put ~2 tablespoons of milk in my coffee or tea.
  3. Pursuing absolute perfection is an exercise in failure, deprecation, and should never be pursued when related to eating in our modern world (i.e. I made cookies with my 3 year old today -- and ate 3 of them).  Desserts really make me crave more desserts.  This was an experiment to see the effect that an isolated sweet consumption will have on my body. 
  4. One can exist without sugar and honey (for at least 7 days anyway...see #3).
  5. I can make an amazing chicken, carrot, sweet potato curry with no recipe at all. 
  6. If I don't consume alcohol (even just a small glass of red wine), I fall asleep quicker and earlier, sleep sounder, sleep longer, and wake up easier.
  7. My 1 year old daughter prefers a paleo diet as well. Notice the pix.
  8. I remember why I stopped eating sausage about a decade ago (see phallic photo below).
  9. NOTHING TASTES BETTER THAN FRESH HOMEMADE SAUSAGE FROM PIGS RAISED IN THE WOODS EATING MOSTLY PUMPKINS & APPLES. 
So it has been almost a week since I decided to go eat completely paleo for 30 days. I have not been perfect.  I tried coconut milk in my coffee. I tried black coffee.  At this point, I really prefer milk or creme in my coffee or tea.  So I decided to allow myself that concession.  This concession makes it easier for me to succeed in my pursuit.  I'm finally applying the good management techniques I learned in the Navy to my own "self-management".  Go me!

I wanted to make curry one night, but I could not find my vegetarian cookbook that has an awesome sweet potato chickpea curry recipe.  My plan was to substitute  chicken for chickpeas.
Sweet potato, Carrot, Chicken Curry
1 pound Chicken
2 yams diced
1 can diced tomatoes (15oz) or diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 pound sliced or diced carrots
1 tablespoon red curry
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cardamom
Cayenne, as desired
1 cup coconut milk
Cook the chicken diced chicken in olive oil.  Once chicken is mostly cooked add yams, diced tomatoes, 1 cup water, carrots and spices.  Bring to boil.  Turn down heat to light simmer, add coconut milk, and allow to simmer for 30 min.  This is a super sweet dish!
Sausage is just such a phallic food!

No comments: